Ohio-like songs to add to your ultimate Ohio playlist

Many people from Ohio – whether it be Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland or smaller towns like Akron, Dayton or Athens, are usually pretty prideful people who are enthusiastic about their hometown. Here are songs to add to your ultimate Ohio playlist– and songs that’ll make you feel proud of your home state. 

Welcome Home” by Over the Rhine 

This song is the perfect one to start out your ultimate Ohio playlist. To start, Over the Rhine is a Cincinnati-based band originating in 1989 and “Welcome Home” is the band’s hit single from 2018. The lyrics go: “My roots grow by the river / They are deeper than the sea / My people and this city / They hold and anchor me / While we sing ‘Hello, Ohio’ / Meet me there and you will see / When I call Cincinnati / ‘Welcome home,’ she answers me. This song truly embodies the pride that nearly all Cincinnatians embody. 

“Lost and Found” by Kim Taylor

Taylor is originally from Miami, Florida, but has lived in Cincinnati for many years where her music career took off. “Lost and Found” is from her 2009 album, “Little Miracle.” This is one of Taylor’s more popular songs, and the lyrics accompanied by the piano make you feel like you can take on anything life throws at you.

“Ohio” by Caamp

This 2016 song by Caamp would be a great addition to any Ohio playlist. The title fits perfectly with the theme, and the harmony in the chorus is to die for. Though a relatively short song, it’d still seamlessly fit into any ultimate Ohio playlist.

“Ohio” by Over the Rhine

Another popular hit by Over the Rhine, “Ohio” comes off the band's 2010 “Ohio” album. This song makes reference to the state’s back roads and the Ohio River. This song is one of the longer ones from the album clocking in at almost 5 and a half minutes. Lead singer Karin Bergquist’s soft vocals really tie the overall mood of the song together.

“Ohio - filous Remix” by Damien Jurado, filous

This is a more upbeat tune to add to your playlist, as the remix aspect really makes you wanna get up and dance. This song is the perfect mix of upbeat while still having an indie/alternative feel. Think Gregory Alan Isakov meets Of Monsters and Men. 

“Bloodbuzz Ohio” by The National

This song has the classic “The National” feel. Released in 2010 as a part of the band’s “High Violet” album, this song could be a great addition to any playlist, but more specifically an Ohio-themed playlist of course. The lead singer of The National, Matt Berninger, is from Cincinnati.

“Howlin’ for You” by The Black Keys

The Black Keys is a band based out of Akron, Ohio. Their song “Howlin’ for You” is arguably their most popular song. This song has a more rock feel to it and is definitely one of the more upbeat ones on this list. This song would be absolutely amazing played in the background of a movie.

There’s no better way to channel your Ohio pride than by listening to songs that are full of it.

@olivia_rohling 

or325320@ohio.edu