Lately with Layne: The benefits to romanticizing life

Recently, I’ve started to notice myself and those around me going through the day’s motions without really stopping to enjoy the 24 hours. Whether it’s because of work or other responsibilities, the day can start to feel less beautiful than it actually is – that’s where romanticizing your life comes into play. 

To romanticize is to make something seem more appealing than it really is. In everyday life, this can translate to going out of your way to do things that improve the overall trajectory of your day while being mundane at the same time. Doing big and flashy things makes it look like you had a great day and you probably did, but romanticizing your day means doing small things just for you that wouldn’t be a great day for just anyone. 

I know this sounds confusing, but it is a simple and effective practice. I imagine myself outside of my body or as an older version of myself watching a vlog of my day. Would I want to watch her be sad in bed all day because of something small? No. I would love to watch her stop and get a fun overpriced drink on the way to work or light a candle in her room while doing a face mask just because. This isn’t for a special occasion. You do it because it makes you a little bit happier and makes your life feel a little bit better at that moment.

Although those are just a few examples, it is important to note that both of those were activities to do by yourself. That’s why this is a more intentional and difficult practice than the fad of romanticizing your life on TikTok by showing the highlights of your day. I adore those videos for the aesthetic, but the creators typically aren’t truly in the moment. Privately romanticizing your life is a way to do things only for yourself; lacking the desire to show it to others is a sign of being content. 

Romanticizing your life, to me, means despite anything going on externally – tension with somebody, heartbreak, anxiety or anything else – you can continue to make yourself believe that life is still good and today is worth making the most of. It takes convincing that this is true and some days it is easier to believe than others. Some of my other favorite things to do in this mindset are taking a walk with my current favorite songs blasting, sitting down to watch a show or a movie after making myself something to eat and my most simple one is taking the long way to McDonald’s to get a large Diet Coke. 

When my friends approach me upset or bored, I always have one consistent piece of advice that I bet you could guess by now – romanticize your life. This concept has done wonders for my mental health and has helped me understand the importance of being OK with being alone. When you know what makes you happy and feel better about your life whether it is going well or not, you become unstoppable in creating your own happiness. 

Layne Rey is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.