Christian Lindberg came to Athens and members of OU Trombone Society were given the opportunity to perform solos. Photo provided by the OU Trombone Society.

OU Trombone Society fosters a love for music among trombonists

On any given Monday night, the fourth floor of Glidden Hall is flooded with the bold, soulful sounds of trombones. The source of the melodies? The Ohio University Trombone Society, or OUTS, an organization built on a collective love for the distinctive brass instrument.

Hunter Sheafer, a junior studying music education and the president of OUTS, has been playing the trombone since his junior year of high school. Sheafer decided to join the trombone society because he believed it was an opportunity to network with other passionate musicians.

Now, as the current president, Sheafer explained his goal as OUTS' leader is simple.

“I just want people to have fun and learn something,” Sheafer said. 

To meet that goal, Sheafer gathers the trombone society to perform music together at every meeting. OUTS members join together to play tunes ranging from songs they are practicing for an upcoming recital to pieces for fun, such as an Irish jingle in honor of St. Patrick’s Day.

“My goal is to make sure we play every meeting,” Sheafer said.

Recently, the group has been practicing an ensemble from “How to Train Your Dragon,” arranged and conducted by Olivia Judy, a senior studying music therapy and a member of OUTS. Judy said this piece will be performed by OUTS during a concert in April.

Judy began playing trombone in sixth grade and has been a member of OUTS for three years, serving different executive leadership roles including treasurer and president. 

“I think it's a lot of the community building for me,” Judy said. “That's why I was so adamant on my arrangement having OUTS play in it.”

AJ Gacnik, a sophomore studying music education and the current OUTS vice president, began playing trombone in sixth grade too. Gacnik shares Judy’s sentiment of joining the group for a sense of community. He explained his time in OUTS has allowed him to connect with trombone players across campus. 

“Through OUTS, I was able to meet some of my best friends,” Gacnik said. 

Judy and Gacnik said the OUTS advisor, Lucas Borges, encouraged them to join the group.

“It was also kind of an expectation to go but then it was really fun to stay,” Judy said. “I really loved it.”

In addition to gaining valuable networking experiences and a chance to play music, OUTS members also help to plan activities and events throughout the academic year.

For example, the group works to help plan the annual Ohio University Trombone Day, a celebration of the instrument. This year, OUTS welcomed world-renowned trombonist Christian Lindberg.

On Valentine’s Day, the group sold customized trombone grams, short love songs that could be dedicated and sent to a loved one. 

The group also performs in various recitals and concerts throughout the year, working to share their music with the Athens community. 

Judy encourages students and residents to share the joy of music by attending concerts and supporting students’ efforts.

“Go to music events, go to choir concerts,” Judy said. “Just see the stuff that other students are doing on your campus.”

For Gacnik, performing or rehearsing for long periods as a part of his major can be challenging. OUTS is a reminder of all the positive things that can come from making music.

“It's easy to forget the joy that comes with playing music,” he said. “Being able to come to OUTS and playing with people who share common interests, we can enjoy music again.”

ab532721@ohio.edu 

@abbyblosee