Jack Haselev (33) gets the rest of the team pumped up before their game agaist Alexander on September 15, 2017. Athens shutout Alexander 48-0. (MATT STAKEY | PHOTO EDITOR)

Athens Football: Athens defense looks to continue scoreless streak

Coach Ryan Adams briefly alluded to the superstition surrounding Athens and its defensive streak. He didn't want to jinx his team.

Nonetheless, the eight-quarter scoreless streak will provide extra motivation for an already stout Athens defense.

“Be quiet, man!" the coach exclaimed. "We don’t want to talk about it and jinx ourselves.” 

As conference play continues, the Bulldogs’ defensive front will be faced with their toughest challenge of the year: stopping Vinton County's running back, Nalen Yates. 

“It’s going to be really important for us to contain him and keep him from getting the outside corner,” Adams said. 

The Bulldogs have faced a variety of running backs this season: Both power running backs and quarterbacks that can move well.

Now, they will face the elusive Nalen Yates, an athlete whose talent goes beyond the football field. 

“There’s a lot of dancing going around in this case and you don’t want him to be able to use his speed,” Adams said. 

The Bulldogs’ linebackers and defensive lineman will play the crucial role of keeping Yates in the middle of the field, to prevent the threat of a big play. 

Last year, Athens hung 63 points on the Vikings in a blow-out victory. Adams and the Bulldogs are not overlooking this conference opponent, though. 

“We’re not just out here spinning the wheel and being satisfied with what we’ve seen on film,” Adams added. 

At 3-1, Athens sits second in the Tri-Valley Conference standings. 

Friday night will mark the halfway point of the season. More importantly, there will be a better sense of where this team is headed for the future.

With a win Friday night, the Bulldogs will continue to align themselves for a much-anticipated playoff run.

@j_klimack20

jk318014@ohio.edu