Justin Hynes tackles the quarterback in the game against Vinton County on Sept. 22, 2017. The Bulldogs won 28-14. (Abigail Dean | For The Post)

Athens Football: Bulldogs run game needs to find consistency against Logan

Last week, Athens struggled to run the ball successfully for four quarters against Vinton County. 

In a 28-14 victory over the Vikings, the Bulldogs saw defensive schemes they were not familiar with, which limited their ability to run the ball with success. 

For the Bulldogs, a consistent running game starts with the offensive line. If they can make in-game adjustments to the defensive schemes Logan has to offer, they should see success. 

Athens will face Logan on Friday night at R. Basil Rutter Field at 7:30 p.m. 

“You always want to have success in your run game,” coach Ryan Adams said. “We gotta do it up front.” 

The Bulldogs rely on a passing-heavy attack. The weapons they possess on the outside, Treyce Albin, Robert Dickelman and Easton McCollum force opponents into game-planning to avoid big plays. 

Success on the outside should open up plays in-between the tackles for Mikel Casteel and Evan Adams on Friday. 

Another way for the Bulldogs to avoid inconsistency in the run game is to involve different ball carriers.  

“If you’re handing it off to a single back every time, teams can figure out how to stop your run game,” Adams said. 

Against Vinton County, Athens found success in running quarterback-keepers. Clay Davis had three or four carries where he was able to keep the chains moving and provide a spark to an offense that needed it.

“We gotta utilize Clay to run the ball,” Adams said. “It helps him to get some contact to get into the feel and flow of the game.” 

Athens will look to avenge the disappointment of last year’s loss to Logan — a game which they lost 31-30 on a blocked extra point.  

With the festivities of Homecoming surrounding Athens, their focus and attention to detail will need to be stern, as Logan looks for a win coming off of back-to-back losses. 

“I expect them to have a little more focus come Friday,” Adams said. 

@j_klimack20

jk318014@ohio.edu