Mikel Casteel (40) sings the fight song with the rest of his team after the Bulldogs' game against Alexander on Sept. 15. (FILE)

Athens Football: Defense shows resiliency in 21-3 win over Logan

As Athens clung to a 7-0 halftime lead, Logan needed a spark to get their offense going. 

The second-half kickoff gave the Chieftains promise. As Bulldog defenders swarmed the ball carrier, he was able to juke left and then right. His elusiveness took him nearly all the way down the sideline and just inside the 20-yard line. 

The Bulldogs pitched a three-and-out, forcing the Chieftains to settle for three. Everyone at R. Basil Rutter Field then knew the resiliency that has provided the Bulldogs with so much success this season.  

The momentum quickly changed hands, as a touchdown would have tied the game at seven. 

“These guys have been cranking it out all year,” said coach Ryan Adams. 

The Bulldogs have allowed just 17 points in their last four games. An average of 4.25 points per contest. 

The defensive success doesn’t come as a surprise to coach Adams and his staff. 

“When we came into the season, we saw some of the writing on the wall,” Adams said. “We should be this good.” 

After a questionable personal foul call against the Bulldogs, the defense was able to persevere again. The 15-yard penalty set Logan up at midfield with a chance to gain a first down and momentum. 

Instead, the Bulldogs’ veteran linebackers, Tanner Tritipo and Jack Haseley, both blew up back-to-back plays in the backfield, resulting in a Chieftain punt. 

“Those two (Jack Haseley and Tanner Tritipo) anchor up a really nice squad of defensive players,” Adams said.

“Trit” has played with a chip on his shoulder all year and served as the life-blood of an impressive defensive front. 

“He’s a very passionate football player,” coach Adams said. “He brings every ounce of his body with every hit he makes.” 

@j_klimack20

jk318014@ohio.edu