An OUPD vehicle parked outside of Scott Quad. (FILE)

Police Blotter: Public urination at Mill Fest; suspicious man is actually a trucker

Some students left Mill Fest with a hankering for pizza or a need for sleep — others left in handcuffs. 

The Ohio University Police Department charged six people with alcohol-related offenses at Mill Fest, which took place March 3. Charges issued that day included public urination, underage drinking, possession of marijuana and possessing a fake ID. 

Bad bathroom selection

At about 3 p.m, an OUPD officer working Mill Fest saw a 21-year-old student urinating on a fence.

According to an OUPD report, the student was urinating in sight of multiple portable toilets and houses. The student was cited for public urination.

Weed on wheels

At nearly midnight that night, an OUPD officer saw a vehicle driving down the middle of Union Street.

A strong smell of marijuana was coming from the vehicle, according to an OUPD report. The officer arrested a student for operating a vehicle impaired, driving outside marked lanes and possessing marijuana.

Mistaken man

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to Ohio Avenue on March 4 for a report of a man with black clothes looking into a van behind Heiner’s Bakery in The Plains.

Deputies patrolled the area and found a man fitting the description, according to a sheriff’s report. The man was dressed in a trucking service uniform and showed his ID to deputies. 

Barn break-in

A sheriff’s office deputy took a report March 5 of breaking and entering at a barn located in the area of State Route 78 in Hollister. 

Deputies found there was nothing removed from the barn, but the padlock was shot and the door was damaged, according to a sheriff’s office report. 

Medical bills 

The sheriff’s office took a report from a resident of Ladd Ridge Road on March 2. 

He said his identity was stolen after receiving a $20,000 medical bill in his name from a hospital in Florida, according to a sheriff’s report. The man said he was not in Florida and did not receive medical treatment from any hospital in Florida. 

Allergy block

The sheriff’s office received a report on March 2 from a woman saying that she was prevented from buying Allegra-D at the pharmacy. 

The woman said she had not purchased anything similar for some time and was curious why she was blocked. There was no evidence of criminal activity, according to a sheriff’s report.

The runaway

The sheriff’s office responded to Depot Street on a report of an intoxicated man at a residence refusing to leave. 

When deputies arrived and saw deputies approaching, the man started running, according to a sheriff’s report. Deputies searched the area but couldn’t find him. 

@AshtonNichols_

an614816@ohio.edu