Photo provided by Getty Images via New York Post.

A timeline of the bizarre Billie Eilish and Kanye West beef

Billie Eilish was one of the strangest targets in Kanye West's various Instagram post attacks

One of the strangest targets of Kanye West’s recent erratic social media attacks was one on Billie Eilish. West demanded for Eilish to release a public apology to rapper Travis Scott after she allegedly “dissed” him. Kanye stated that if Eilish did not apologize, then he would boycott his own Coachella performance. This left many fans of Eilish as well as everyone who was following along with West’s concerning string of posting confused.

Here is a breakdown of everything we know about this bizarre beef:

Feb. 4: West posts first social media attack

On Feb. 4, Kanye West took to Instagram to express his distaste with both his divorce and with Kim Kardashian allowing North to be on TikTok. The caption of the now-deleted post read, “SINCE THIS IS MY FIRST DIVORCE I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO ABOUT MY DAUGHTER BEING PUT ON TIK TOK AGAINST MY WILL?”

Kim then fired back at Kanye, saying his posts were extremely hurtful to her. Pete Davidson was caught in the crossfire of Kim and Kanye’s Instagram feud, due to his repeated public appearances with Kim Kardashian. Kanye infamously referred to Pete as “Skete.” More about the Kanye/Pete situation can be found here.

Feb. 5: Eilish stops concert to help fan

At the Atlanta stop of Eilish’s Happier Than Ever tour, a fan in the pit area of her show began to have trouble breathing. The fans surrounding her started yelling for help, catching Eilish’s attention and causing her to stop the show. She had her crew grab the fan an inhaler from backstage, then commented, “I wait for people to be OK before I keep going.” After the Astroworld tragedy on Nov. 5, 2021, many people took this remark to be a dig at Travis Scott’s continuation of his performance as chaos broke out in the crowd. However, Eilish has been known to stop her concerts for fans who are in danger or need medical attention, even before the Astroworld tragedy occurred.

Here is an example of her pausing one of her shows, three years ago, after a fan fainted:

Feb. 10: Kanye makes an Instagram post about Billie Eilish

After Eilish made the comment at her concert and many media outlets began to report it as a diss against Travis Scott, West took notice and added to his string of strange and almost frightening Instagram call-outs. His post essentially said Eilish must release an apology to Scott because, West said, he was unaware of what was happening while he was performing. Here is a screenshot of the since-deleted post: (source: Daily Mail UK)

Lots of fans of both West and Eilish felt very weird about the fact that Kanye, who is 44 years old, was choosing to target Eilish, a 20-year-old. Rolling Stone ended up contacting the grandparents of the youngest Astroworld victim, a 9-year-old boy named Ezra Blount. His grandpa, Bernon Blout, said, “To hear Kanye’s words, that’s hurtful to us. What an idiotic thing to say.”

Billie Eilish Responds:

The night of Feb. 10, Eilish commented on Kanye’s post writing, "Literally never said a thing about travis. was just helping a fan.”
West did not respond to Eilish’s comment in any way. Travis Scott has stayed silent, even though Kanye claimed that what Eilish said at her concert was incredibly hurtful to him. West has also yet to confirm if he is still going to perform at Coachella or not. Many fans have been comparing this drama to the Kanye/Taylor Swift incident that occurred at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards when Kanye infamously got up on stage and interrupted Swift’s acceptance of her award. The seemingly senseless targeting of Taylor mirrors this unexpected and unnecessary attack on Billie Eilish.

Feb. 19: Eilish stops concert again

Eilish is still continuing on her Happier Than Ever world tour. At her second show at Madison Square Garden, Eilish noticed the pit area was becoming a little chaotic again, similar to the Feb. 5 incident. She asked the audience to “take a breath” before she continued on with her performance as well as telling fans who were crowding near the front to take a step back. This comment from Eilish once again proves that her initially stopping the concert on Feb. 5 wasn’t necessarily meant to be a “call-out” at Travis Scott. It is clear that Eilish cares about keeping her concerts a safe environment for fans, regardless of what Kanye West claims about her on Instagram.

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor